There are infinite ways to show our love and gratitude, with spending money on (or making something for) another as just one possibility.
Giving and receiving gifts can be magical. It can be a way to express that we truly see someone or it can show our support for a business or artist we love. The right gift, for the right person, at the right time is wonderful.
If you’re giving gifts this year and seeking inspiration, I’ve pulled together a few of my favorites…
1. Maria Schoettler’s 2013 ‘Eat Local’ Calendar. Been my go-to calendar going on three years. Stunning.
2. The Seven-Year Pen. Yes, this pen lasts seven years. If you don’t lose it along the way, it writes beautifully and is a great deal. Love mine.
3. Mati Rose’s “There is nothing wrong with you” print. Mine hangs happily in my kitchen. A great reminder.
4. 80 Acres Verde scented body care. From the body butter to the scented candles, this is hands down my favorite smell these days.
5. American Apparel jersey chemise. I wear one of these almost every day. It’s the ultimate layering tank if, like me, you or your gift recipient like ’em long.
6. Pinhole Press personalized memory game. My niece or nephew (due this spring!) may not be able to play this game for a good while, but it caught my eye as a great kid gift and it’s no a stretch of the imagination to envision playing it myself.
7. Vanessa Barrington’s DIY Delicious: Recipes and Ideas for Simple Food from Scratch. If you’re wanting to make a homemade edible gift this year, Vanessa’s book is your go-to bible. I love every recipe in it and the gorgeous photos from Sara Remington don’t hurt.
8. Native Seeds/SEARCH’s heirloom beans. Santa brings me these beans every year, right before I go through last year’s stash. They are gorgeous, flavorful, versatile, and nourishing. Terrific hostess gift.
9. Ilia lipstick and tinted lip conditioners. On my wish list. Highly recommended by some of my most respected and lip-hip lady friends.
10. A homemade surprise ball. I was gifted one of these for my birthday this year and it was the most fun present to unwrap, ever.
11. Mt. Washington Pottery bells. My dear friend Beth is an extraordinarily talented potter and lately she’s been making these beautiful bells. Love mine. Perfect gift for the home.
12. The Porridge Manifesto. In this, my first book, I share my philosophy of creating a delicious life by starting with breakfast. It’s perfect for anyone who loves porridge or is looking to shake up their breakfast routine.